Not to be confused with Petite France in Strasbourg, there is a Petite France located in Korea. It is a small French village in Gapyeong. Yes, its really petite. The creator was inspired by his trip to France that he decided to create a small French village here. He wanted this place to be a place where children can develop their dreams and to remind adults of the innocence of children. There is also a small Eiffel Tower located here. I really like the colourful buildings here.
This village is also inspired by the book “The Little Prince”. You can see wall murals of the characters from the book. There is also a memorial hall dedicated to Saint-Exupery, the author of the book. I’m not sure if you’ve read it but it actually teaches us about human nature. Its about a prince who travelled to different planets and met different people with different nature like power, dedication, ignorance, etc. and how it affects them. My favorite quote from it will be,
“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
There are a variety of cultural programs and performances you can experience here. You can see puppet performances, marionette performances, French style living areas, dolls and many more. Sadly for me, at the time I visited, they were doing a lot of renovations. So, I didn’t get to see some of them.
It is also the filming location of Korean dramas like “Beethoven Virus”, “Personal Taste”, “My love from the star”, “Secret Garden” and variety show “Running man”. So, if you are a fan, you might want to drop by. Some of the places reminds me of the things that happened in the drama and variety show. Its really small and won’t take long to walk around the whole place.
Petite France (쁘띠프랑스)
Address: 1063, Hoban-ro, Cheongpyeong-myeon, Gapyeong-gun, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 가평군 청평면 호반로 1063
Nearest Subway Station: Gapyeong Station
How to get there:
- Take note of which station you are from and consider the nearest transfer station (Yongsan Station or Cheongyangni Station) to transfer to the ITX-Cheongchun line.
- From Yongsan Station or Cheongyangni Station, take the ITX-Cheongchun to Gapyeong Station.
- Take the Gapyeong City Tour bus and get down at the Petite France stop.
- For other means of transportation, if you prefer to take the bus or you are driving there, click here.
- 9.00am to 6.00pm (Last admission at 5.00pm)
- Opening and closing times are subject to change depending on season and weather conditions.
- 8,000 Won for Adults
- 6,000 Won for Teenagers (13 to 19 years old)
- 5,000 Won for Children (36 months to 12 years old)
It was a long journey back to Seoul from here. There is also another place in Gapyeong that I wanted to see. The Garden of morning calm which is also a stop on the city bus tour but my companions are too tired from all the days of travelling. So I guess I will make my way there the next time.
Up next, The Korean Folk Village. Come back to read about it.